Sunday, August 06, 2006

It's been a while...

Hello! How's it going? Things have been great here. :) The weather finally cooled off, but that has also meant a lot of rain and overcast to the days. The sun peeked its head out today and for a bit yesterday...kind of a tease, but what can you do? I had an audition for an agent with the San Diego Lyric opera this past week. I sang well, but he was confused with what I was doing. He thinks I'm a Dramatic Soprano (never heard THAT before!) and wants me to take all the mother/old lady stuff off of my resume. I see the point, but it would also leave me with NO experience...so, that won't be happening anytime soon. At least I went in and gave it my all. There are advantages to having a big voice, but the whole not knowing where I belong thing I could do without.

Also this past week was the operetta concert. We had 3 performances with the orchestra. I was around a great group of people, which was nice. One concert was in town and two were run-out concerts where we didn't get home till after midnight, but it was worth it. The conductor and I worked really well together. The portion of the program in which I performed was as Mirabella in the Zigeunerbaron. I got some laughs with my "Boom Boom" song (as it was remembered). We had some amazing food and walked away with not only the experience, but some flowers, chocolate and wine. Thank you! Oh yeah...another thing I learned is that two generic dramamine make me feel a bit tipsy! Who'd a thunk it?

It's crazy that there is only one week left here. This has been amazing. Now people are really coming out of their shells, and it's been nice to get to know them. At least I know this won't be the last time we'll see eachother, in this small musical world. I got SO lucky with the coach I have (Wei-Zhi Weng - he's amazing!) and being able to study with Dr. Dauphinais still. I feel like even though I haven't had a bunch of performing opportunities, when I have sung I have always represented myself well, and that's all I can do. I've gained a lot in musicianship and advice. I even made an Orlando contact, which is nice.


By the way, if I NEVER have pork or schnitzel again, it will be too soon! I cannot wait to have CHICKEN!!! They simply don't believe in that here....it's all about the pork and turkey. Which is fine, but man... :) I know I should have more pictures up here, but right now I just wanted to fill you in on what has been going on.

Oh yeah, went to Vienna a couple of weeks ago. It was AMAZING! I got to go to the Vienna Staatsoper and sing on the stage. :) We saw an amazing Mozart exhibit, saw the Schonburg Schloss, stayed at a studentenheim with REALLY CUTE desk clerks, had amazing food, saw beautiful churches....I love Vienna! :) This week we may try to go to Venice. Isn't that crazy?! Who says that? "I think I'll go to Italy this weekend." It's unbelievable. No plans are final, but it would be really cool. I think it's a 6 hour train ride. And when will be the next time I'll have this type of opportunity?!

Today all I did was sleep after being so wiped out from the operetta concerts. I was in bed until 1pm...I haven't done that in I don't know HOW long! My plan for tomorrow is to go to German, my coaching with Wei-Zhi at 1:45, and then out with my friend Johanna until the concert in the evening. Maybe I'll actually feel human again tomorrow.

Okay, I love and miss you all! I hope everyone is well and that my ramblings make at least a little bit of sense. :) Auf Wiedersehen!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GO TO ITALY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have a fun and fantastic time there! Who knows...maybe they'll have some chicken there too! :P